I would like to start by thanking the Coast Salish Peoples who’s land I have lived on my entire life. I would specifically like to thank the Lekwungen/Songhees People whose land I currently live on, the T’Souke Nation who I work with and whose land I work on, and the Sc’ianew Beecher Bay and Pacheedhat Nuu-chah-nulth Peoples who I also work with. I intend to honor the sharing of land and resources by using my position as an educator to protect and share Indigenous knowledge and ways of knowing to the best of my abilities. As an Indigenous ally, I wish to create a safe classroom/shop for all students to learn to their greatest potential and guide them to their futures while connecting them with each other and the community, be that Elders, Knowledge Keepers, parents, businesses, or other community entities for the betterment of all.

Hych’ka     Kleco Kleco     Gilakas’la     Marsee     Thank you

As a non-Indigenous cis male of mainly Irish and English descent, the thought of working on a project focused on Indigenous education can feel a little daunting at times. There is a fear that I believe many non-Indigenous teachers initially have when addressing Indigenous education that you may unintentionally cause disrespect or share knowledge incorrectly. That fear is likely a correct one, but I believe it is my duty as an educator, an Indigenous ally, and a Canadian to address historical wrongs that have taken place and use my position, as best I can, to create a better future for my entire community. I may make mistakes, but I intend to learn from them and always strive to move towards a more empathetic and understanding future. I hope this project can be viewed as a piece of my commitment to ongoing growth as an ally and to building lasting relations with the Indigenous Peoples of the land where I live and work.

I currently teach woodwork and drafting which is why many examples provided on this site will reflect that focus. I created this site with the hope that it can stand as a living document that other technology education teachers can add their own examples and experiences to in time.

Jeremy O’Shea